Marion Ballew Thomas Memorial Scholarship
The Department of Ethnic Studies invites applications from UO Ethnic Studies majors and minors for the Marion Ballew Thomas scholarship. The scholarship is provided in loving memory of Marion Ballew Thomas, daughter of Wilrina and Nolan Ballew, and devoted sister of Adolph, Catherine, and Charles.
NEW APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, MAY 12TH!!
ELIGIBILITY: Two $500 scholarships will be awarded to culturally diverse, undergraduate Ethnic Studies majors or minors or Native American Studies minors who are engaged in studies that further the development of their social awareness and analytical skills.
Preference will be given to students who:
- Have demonstrated financial need for tuition/fees and or living expenses
- Have a documented record of community service and engagement; OR
- Are minoring/majoring in the natural sciences, the social sciences, peace studies, education, business or planning and public policy in addition to Ethnic Studies.
– A short 2-3 page personal statement addressing their focus of study and relevant community work
– Transcripts (official or unofficial)
– One short letter of reference
Applications should be submitted as hard copies to the Ethnic Studies office in the Alder building.
Students who apply but do not receive the scholarship this year may apply again next year. Students who are awarded this scholarship may apply to renew it until they are awarded their UO undergraduate degrees. Any renewal granted is dependent on funding available for scholarships and the number of all applicants.
Award winners will be announced by
FRIDAY, MAY 19TH
Award distributions will be made during Spring Term.