Faculty Affiliate in Ethnic Studies and the Center for Study of Women in Society
- BA, Social Ecology, Antioch College 1990
- PhD, Political Science, New School for Social Research, 2003
- From the New Deal to the New Right: Race and the Southern Origins of Modern Conservatism, Yale University Press, 2008.
- Race and American Political Development, Routledge Press, 2008. Edited volume with Julie Novkov and Dorian Warren.
- "Race and American Political Development" in Race and American Political Development, edited by Joseph Lowndes, Julie Novkov and Dorian Warren, Routledge Press, 2008, pp. 1-30. With Julie Novkov and Dorian Warren.
- "The Ground Beneath Our Feet: Language, Culture and Political Change" in Formative Acts: Reckoning with Agency in American Politics, edited by Stephen Skowronek and Matthew Glassman, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2007, pp 199 - 219 . With Victoria Hattam.
- "From Founding Violence to Political Hegemony: The Conservative Populism of George Wallace" in Populism and the Mirror of Democracy, edited by Francisco Panizza, Verso Books, 2005, pp. 144 - 171.
- "Jackson, Lincoln, Obama: Presidential Bodies and the Contest over American National Identity."
- "Libertarianism and Cultural Conservatism in the Tea Party Movement"